birding-aus

Atlas Project & Threatened Bird Network Newsletter

To: "iandowling" <>
Subject: Atlas Project & Threatened Bird Network Newsletter
From: "Hugo Phillipps" <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:57:51 +1000
Hi Ian -

You said:
> I have read your Email and also the Threatened Birds Newsletter as well as
> earlier pleas. As I understand you haven't the money to detail the results
> and I feel (if you will forgive the expression) I am wasting my time and
> yours. I wonder if others feel the same way. If  this is wrong I am happy
> continue Atlassing. At the moment everything I collect goes to the
> Department for the Victorian Atlas (and it is acknowledged) but I don't
> bother with any Interstate records.

I hope Andrew will also reply to you, but I must say that I find your
attitude somewhat disappointing.  Andrew made it clear in his message that
the Atlas program continues and all atlassers are encouraged to keep
atlassing.  Although funding is tighter with the end of support from the
Natural Heritage Trust, the Atlas database will continue to grow and become
increasingly valuable with time.  I am sure that there will be much
published analysis of the data, including ongoing trends, in years to come.
The forthcoming annual State of Australia's Birds report will be part of
this, and the newsletter will also carry news of what is happening.  I know
that many people are hanging out for the publication of the second Atlas
book (now forecast for August after some production delays), but that is
overshadowed in importance by the need to maintain the database as an
up-to-date NATIONAL repository of information about our birdlife.  Please DO
keep atlassing - all your records are needed, including those from outside
Victoria.  How are we going to know what is happening in ten or twenty years
time if you don't?

Cheers,
Hugo

Hugo Phillipps