birding-aus

Sophie Dennis and Silvereyes

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Sophie Dennis and Silvereyes
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:47:43 +1000
Though a lot of hysteria and way too many words have been whipped up on Birding-Aus by Sophie's rather abstract FOI, I think in her defence I should illuminate you all.  After a brief offline e-mail exchange, it is clear that Sophie has no ulterior motives or heinous objectives!  She is if anything just a bit naïve and inexperienced in the niceties of asking for help.  I'm sure she's learned quite a bit from the savaging that she has received on that score!!!  If you're interested, the text below from her message to me explains what she's attempting to do with Silvereyes; why and where.  It's for an honours project, so she hasn't much time to play with - please help if you can.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Lawrie,

Thanks for your reply. I am studying BSc Honours in the Department of Zoology at Melbourne uni, and am looking at the responce of silvereyes to the calls of grey butcherbirds.  As butcherbirds are a predator of small birds it is expected that silvereyes will retreat to cover in responce to the call. This has applications in the wine industry as silvereyes are a severe pest of grapes, and butcherbird calls may provide an economic deterrence method.

I have  done some trials in vineyards, but the grape season is now finished. I am looking for locations where there are usually silvereyes at this time of year, but am having some trouble, hence the general call for sightings. I want to continue playback trials to silvereyes where they are feeding now, possibly using feeders as a focal point. I'm not sure if their foraging behaviour will be the same as when they're feeding in vineyards, so I'd like to find some and observe asap.

Any ideas / comments would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks You,
Sophie Dennis.

=====
Sophie Dennis
Zoology Honours
University of Melbourne

m("yahoo.com","soph184");">
--
=================================
Lawrie Conole

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail: m("ecologyaustralia.com.au","lconole");">
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142

NOTE: This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information intended for addressees only.  Please do not copy or forward without permission.