birding-aus

Lake Merreti and Coolton C.P., SA

Subject: Lake Merreti and Coolton C.P., SA
From: Michael Shawn Wood <>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:22:54 +0930
Hello all,

Just like to report on an interesting few days spent birding in the riverland
of South Australia just recently. On the 12th and 13th of May I visited Lake
Merretti, part of Calperum Station and the Bookmark Biosphere, approximately
20km n/e of Renmark. I was not expecting overly much at the site, but was
pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyed my time there depsite the
occasional shower and downpour.

Some of the better sightings for the location were of a huge number of at least
41 Freckled Duck -at least by my standards- seen one day, another nine or so
the previous. These are certainly conservative numbers, for on both days
visibility was not great and I could not quite make out the numerous more that
I felt convinced were on the opposite shore. Other good finds were of a male
Gilbert's Whistler which was feeding near Hunchee Island, within the floodplain
/ Black Box woodland, a habitat I would have thought unusual for the species.
It was great to go somewhwere where Restless Flycatchers appeared reasonably
common, for I must admit the bird is a favourite of mine. The diversity of
species at the location was surprising, given the time of year.

On the 14th I took a drive west of Renmark and spent a good few hours at the
Coolotong Conservation Park. Although species diversity was not great, quality
of birds certainly made up for it. Among one of the better sightings at this
site were the Striated Grasswren. I had been told by Peter Wanders that the
bird can be found there. I drove about 8km inside the park from the southern
entrance, stopping several times, particularly when ascending a dune with
porcupine grass. Of four stops made, the bird was heard and eventually sighted
at each -a total of nine overall. They were very accomodating and curious, and
their calls appeared as though they were quite irritated, suggesting they may
be breeding? Again the Restless Flycatcher was seen reasonably often, with at
least 4 birds recorded.

But the "FIND" for the location and trip was that of a Red-lored Whistler.
Never having seen the bird before, I was initially a little puzzled and pursued
the bird through the scrub very near the southern boundary. Eventually I was
able to attain an excellent view of a juvenile male (obvious orange-chestnut on
the lower abdomen) feeding in the mid-upper strata of the vegetation. I
expected to have to make a deliberate effort to record this species, but as
fortune and fate would so often have it, I happened upon it by chance.
Fantastic!

p.s. I would have reported on this earlier, but I am snowed under with uni.
Also, anyone interested in a list for each of the locations can get in touch
with me and I will gladly pass it on.

Kind Regards,
Michael