birding-aus

Plastic bags and boxes

To: "" <>
Subject: Plastic bags and boxes
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 17:56:07 +1000
This subject has obviously struck a chord with thoughtful birdfolk.
Before this thread concludes, a small contribution:-

 On occasion, when I've had a lot to transport, I have asked staff at
our friendly local independent supermarket (IGA brand) for one of the
foam plastic boxes that fruit and veg are often supplied in. as a rule,
they have been provided without demur.
   Occasionally none have been available because they had already been
smashed up in the Dumpster (saves space). (They aren't recycled for fear
of plant diseases)
   They are sturdy and will last for many trips, with care. They stop
stuff like oranges escaping and rolling round the boot, and they also
have some insulation value. This would be increased on a hot day if you
put a reflective sheet over them - we used to use a 'space blanket'.

   I have also begged these boxes for local organizations who had a
plant sale coming up.
Anthea Fleming