birding-aus

Bulga area NSW (Regent HE and Swift Parrot Survey) 24-05-03

To: <>
Subject: Bulga area NSW (Regent HE and Swift Parrot Survey) 24-05-03
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 20:38:37 +1000

Today, myself and David Mitford conducted the Regent Honeyeater and Swift Parrot survey at our usual spot in the Bulga area (approx. 180 km NW of Sydney CBD in the NSW Hunter Region).

A pleasant but mainly cool and overcast day but it hardly rained at all unlike some nearby areas.

Our first spot was along Wambo Rd where we saw pretty much the usual but interesting suspects such a Red-capped, Rose and Scarlet Robins, Speckled Warblers, Buff-rumped and Yellow Thornbills and White-eared Honeyeaters amongst others.

Most of the action was along Wallaby Scrub Rd where there were a number of Honeyeaters attracted to the flowering Grey Box (Eucalyptus mollucanna) such as White-naped, Brown-headed, Yellow-faced, Fuscous, White-plumed, Scarlet and Striped Honeyeaters. Several Noisy Friarbirds (20plus) were also passing through. Other usual but delightful bush birds included a Wedge-tailed Eagle, 2 Brown Falcons, Little lorikeets (at least 8, also attracted to these flowering Eucalypts), a Common Bronzewing,  more Red-capped Robins, Speckled Warblers, a Western Gerygone, Brown Tree-creepers (5 plus), Rufous Whistlers, Grey-crowned Babblers (common, which included atleast 5 or more groups all in one area), Restless Flycatcher (the sun came out to reveal its beautiful shining plumage) and a Diamond Firetail amongst a number of Double-barred Finches (some of the Double-barred where juv. birds).

A beautiful adult Spotted Harrier put on a wonderful display between Wallaby Scrub Rd and Bulga.

Before heading back home I showed David how easy it is to see a Barn Owl in the Richmond Turf Farms (which was an Australian tick for David).

Edwin Vella