birding-aus

Kamikaze cockatoos ... use the firs Luke

Subject: Kamikaze cockatoos ... use the firs Luke
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:01:10 -0700 (PDT)
G'day Carol,

I have seen the same thing down here in Hastings also about dusk?

There is a stand of "Star War" trees that runs along near to the Hastings Caravan park. Grown to form an avenue. They shreek and carry on as they dive down and settle down for the night to watch their TV set looking through the games room window?

The trees are an olde stand of Fir tree's hence why they call them "Star Waugh" obvious eh? tree's have nothing to do with Cricket.

One cocky got rehabbed not long ago and some silly olde red headed phart called him Luke. So the caravanning folk often are heard to say "Use the Firs Luke" when luke starts chewing up the TV room.

I think he gets upset when he looks in and his favorite movie isn't on? perhaps they relate to the characters in whte in the movie? never know eh? Should I make "Luke" a flying scooter?

Better scooter off now, Ooroo from JAG in wellies. Can't afford to shop in Boots.

Carol Probets <> wrote:

The last few afternoons I've been watching a great spectacle on the walk
along the clifftop from Gordon Falls to Tarpeian Rock at Leura in the Blue
Mountains. Each day at sunset, what must be Leura's entire population of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos start to appear from over the top of the cliffs and with much screeching and an audible whoosh, plunge down into the valley below where they roost in huge old Blue Gums. I'm sure they gather as much speed as they can just for fun - they tilt this way and that and sometimes almost turn somersaults as they go. I reckon it takes each bird about 30 seconds to travel from the top of the cliffs to a point almost a kilometre away and several hundred vertical metres down - which puts their speed at about 120 km per hour (a very rough estimate). There are at least 150 of them fly down to that roost.

Twenty years ago when I first moved to the mountains, I used to regularly
see a single Sulphur-crested Cockatoo whenever I t ravelled through the
township of Bullaburra. Apart from that they were very rarely seen. Their
increase since then has been phenomenal.

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba
Blue Mountains NSW