birding-aus

Overseas help for a defeated Windies fellow

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Overseas help for a defeated Windies fellow
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 20:50:10 -0700 (PDT)

G'day All,

I've just sent a long email to a fine fellow overseas who is planning an Australian trip which will take in some birding. I've edited it to some degree and was hoping folk out on the Mallee would agree or disagree with what I have written back to him below. It's the very first time to Oz for Neils. I'm thinking safety first at all times. Lack of Australian news in the West Indies no doubt.

Cheers to all, JAG

I'd better go now and bail out the back room we've just had a deluge of rain here wash in under the door.

Neils writes:

Port Fairy (I think this is the name) for some seabird watching.

JAG: Yep that?s right (stop laughing about the name) they do have some great seabird watching trips from there and it is a beautiful port location, quite pixie like. It can get, at times, a bit choppy out at sea, tis time of year, so don?t forget "Quells" or other such seasickness aids if needed?

Neils: The Mallee region in Victoria, the area around Deniliquin in NSW, and the Chiltern area in eastern Victoria. This should lend me an opportunity to visit several different habitats and see quite a few different birds. Please let me know what you think of this? Is it possible without overstressing the driving, and are there areas that are better avoided due to recent fires or other?

JAG: Okay here are some words from me written as though I were you and with the pre-emptive knowledge of what bird is where. More a how to get there and an estimate time schedule for road travel. Which is? I think what you want. The areas you have chosen will definitely give you a wide selection of Australian flora and fauna.

Deniliquin:

Thee only place, your braving on leaving thee protection of Victoria to visit, is about a one hour drive from the Victorian border (Echuca-Moama) into New South Wales on the "Cobb Highway". If you want to? I am thinking you might be tired upon arrival. But if you do then leaving the airport, Melbourne International airport (Tullamarine) at the airport exit aim away from Melbourne, heading towards Bendigo, and onto the "Calder Highway", look for the many road signs pointing to "Bendigo". The total drive Airport to Deniliquin should take about five and a half hours. Using the highway system. Dependent upon time of day and therefore traffic flow. I used to do a lot of driving and found night driving was best for me with a great deal less traffic. This trip at night would then be about four hours. To get to Deniliquin: Leaving Melbourne Airport behind you, to the South, travel along the "Calder" Highway and near Bendigo navigate to get onto the "Midland" Highway turnoff. Trave lling the Midland Highway at "Elsmore" it has a name change and becomes the "Northern" Highway, which takes you to "Echuca". Navigate Echuca to get on to the Cobb Highway and on to Deniliquin. The entire route is well signposted.

Airport aim for Bendigo. Bendigo aim for Echuca. Echuca aim for Deniliquin.

Chiltern:

Seems to be a bit of a birding hot spot as of late. Good reports of many species.

Chiltern is roughly speaking half way between Wodonga and Wangaratta just off the "Hume" highway. The "Hume" Highway goes the entire distance from Melbourne to Chiltern. It is a very good highway for traffic flow. Rutherglen is a well known wine producing area and worth a visit for more then just the wineries. Take the turn off on the "Hume Highway" for Rutherglen. At Rutherglen take the road for the Chiltern State Forrest. You would be pushed to miss the marker signs. Rutherglen is "Ned Kelly" country so if you see Mick Jagger please pass on my regards.

Thee Mallee region:

It?s quite a large area of land. Very diverse as too are its wild birds and animals. Okay I am to recommend to you one place in the Mallee region to visit hmm? Or base you in or close to thee Mallee region. Well I think for this time of year and what?s going on there re: plant growth etc. etc. then I think make your base at "Ouyen". Ouyen then bases you within easy driving reach of several national parks dotted all the way around Ouyen. Thee entire area is good for birding. It?s also only an hour?s drive from Ouyen to Mildura a good-sized city with many facilities for the traveller. A couple of things. Before driving out into the desert region, and here you are close to the Big Desert national park.

One: I would plead with you to have a good and fully functioning mobile phone.

Two: More then adequate amounts of drinking water.

Three: A system in place that informs people ahead "you are on your way and what route your taking and/or the time your expected back".

Four: Contact the local area police.

I am not trying to put you off, far from it, but it is an area that borders on the Big Desert and a lot of care needs to be taken. I think taking on a reputable tour guide for this area is recommended. That said it is an absolutely beautiful area and worth a visit under the right conditions. Sometimes I wish upon wish that a certain government body had a phone number, say 1800 Ozbirdo or 1800 Wild Thang that when used contacted the nearest National Parks and Wildlife ranger within thee area from which the phone call is being made? Silly ancient John thinking aloud that this world really is getting modern eh? And on a public Health a Safety footing Australia leads the world.

Do you Yahoo!?