birding-aus

Nyngan-Cobar-Bourke-Nyngan 1-5 May 2003

To: <>
Subject: Nyngan-Cobar-Bourke-Nyngan 1-5 May 2003
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 09:15:43 +1000
FOLLOW THAT BIRD (ASIT) TRIP TO NYNGAN,COBAR & BOURKE 1-5 MAY 2003

This five day trip to Bourke was designed for the participants to see some of the typical resident  birds of north-western NSW. It took place a week after good rains fell across north-western NSW and prior to that fall, there had been other substantial falls over the Easter period. Therefore throughout our trip the countryside was green, with apparent good seasonal conditions around the Nyngan and Byrock areas. Overnight stays were at Nygan, Cobar, Bourke and Gilgandra, with an hours birdwatching taking place each morning before breakfast at those locations. Overall bush bird numbers were down because of the prolonged drought and some birds that are relatively common in north-west NSW were hard to find such as flycatchers, robins and thornbills. We departed in light rain and drizzle from Sydney but this finally went after we left Lithgow and we virtually saw no cloud again until we hit the Upper Hunter Valley on our return on the last day. Fine sunny weather was experienced in western NSW and in many places puddles of water were still lying on the ground.

Enroute to Nygan there were few birds to be seen along the main highway though an out of season Pallid Cuckoo at Goolma was of some interest. However beyound Narromine, Apostlebirds, Cockatiels and Emus soon made their appearance, while Black-shouldered Kites were relatively common between Wellington and Nyngan, and a few Brown Falcons and Black Kites made their appearance towards the end of the day. A check of the local STW at the end of the day revealed plenty of Pinkears and Hoary-headed Grebes and a few Shovelers amongst the usual waterbirds, a lone Cattle Egret was unexpected so far west, while Spiny-cheeked & Striped Honeyeaters were present in the box trees. Next morning at Nyngan we had great views of all the local parrots, Blue Bonnets, Red-wingeded & Red-rumped Parrots and Ringnecks while 4 Superb Parrots passed overhead. Whistling and Black Kites were common over the riparian areas of the Bogan River. Crested Shrike-tits, Tree Martins, Restless Flycatcher, White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes and Little Friarbirds were some of the more interesting woodland birds. Out along the Canonba Rd just east of Nyngan we were surprised by a flock of 7 Ground Cuckoo- Shrikes. These were being harassed by Yellow-throated Miners and Magpies but soon returned to give us great views. Further out around Box Cowal Creek, we found our first Grey-crowned & Chestnut-crowned Babblers, Zebra Finch, Weebill, Rufous Whistler, Western Gerygone and Common Bronzewing.

We moved onto Cobar and lunched beside the New Cobar Tank where there were plenty of waterbirds and the water level in the tank had risen considerably as a result of the recent rains. A flock of 50+ Shovelers were looking good amongst the Black-winged Stilts and Coots, a Little Grassbird called in the reeds, Spotted Bowerbirds & Mistletoebirds were common in the Peppercorn trees, Variegated & Superb Fairy-wrens were active in the undergrowth along with Double-barred Finches, Brown Honeyeater and Blackbirds. Across to the Cobar STW produced plenty more Shovelers, Hardheads and Pinkears along with close views of a pair of Peregrine Falcons attracted by all the ducks flying around, a Liitle Eagle quickly disappeared from view, and Chestnut-rumped Thornbills were present in the undergrowth.

Late that afternoon we went south out along the Kidman Highway where we had a great views of an Owlet-Nightjar, plenty of Southern Whiteface and Red-capped Robins, White-browed Babblers, and Yellow-rumped Thornbills, .eventually locating Inland Thornbills and Singing Honeyeaters. In an old wheat field we found a flock of 9 Banded Lapwings, Black-faced Woodswallows, Little Crows, more Common Bronzewings and a flock of 30+ White-fronted Chats all feeding together. The following morning on the Cobar Common, Mulga Parrots were the birds of the day, seeing many in the early morning sun, along with Spotted Bowerbirds and White-browed Babblers, Red-winged Parrots and White-breasted Woodswallows in the town.

A quick stop of a Tindara Tank north of Cobar on the Kidman Way located 4 Major Mitchell Cockatoos and some Black-fronted Dotterels, along with Chestnut & White-browed Babblers etc and the first of many Wedge-tailed Eagles. We spent a few hours in Gunderbooka NP, lunching a Dry Tank and walking the track to Little Mountain to look out on Mt Gunderbooka. The highlights here were White-fronted Honeyeaters feeding on the nectart of the Eremophila flowers, a mixed flock of Sitellas, Hooded Robin, thornbills and a White-browed Treecreeper on Little Mountain. Crested Bellbirds were heard and seen around Dry Tank but although calling loudly, at least two Horsfield Bronze-cuckoos were heard but could not be located in the dense mulga.
A quick visit to the Fort Bourke Stockade on the Darling River at Bourke revealed a flowing Darling River, Brown Treecreepers very much in evidence, Pelicans, Great Egrets, Whistling Kites, Pied Cormorants and Darters on and around the River, and a lone Jacky Winter.

Next morning in Bourke we walked the riverbank down to the restored wharves, where we saw a Hobby, plenty of White-breasted Woodswallows, and plenty of cormorants and darters, Peaceful Doves on the banks and Red-tailed Black Cockatoos. Later we had great views of a flock of 33 RTBCs feeding close to the road at North Bourke, near to about 500 Little CorellasSinging Bushlarks, Pipits, Kestrels and Black-faced Woodswallows were the only birds present on those large brown almost bare plains to the north of Bourke. The Bourke STW turned up the usual suspects and only the White-necked Heron & Yellow-billed Spoonbill were new to our list, and a White-breasted Sea-eagle was seen at the Bourke Fishing Reserve.

Late in the morning we headed for home, stopping off at Byrock for Lunch and then to explore the Byrock aboriginal site and rockpools. The recent rain had filled the rock pools so that Black Ducks, Hoary-headed Grebes and Black-fronted Plovers were present. In the surrounding mulga, good views were had of Crested Bellbirds and Rufous Whistlers, Red-capped Robins, Singing, Striped &  Blue-faced Honeyeaters, Western Gerygones, Spotted Bowerbirds and Grey-crowned Babblers. This is a great birding spot with very interesting aboriginal and european history well presented, and a great pub. Well worth a stop at any time. More Wedge-tailed seen enroute to Warren, our last stop for the day. At the Warren STW, another lone Cattle Egret and Yellow-billed Spoonbill seen, and a Clamorous Reedwarbler was located, amongst the usual Pinkears, Grey Teal and Shovelers.

Our final mornings walk was along the banks of the Castlereagh River at Gilgandra, where 32 species were seen in the hour including our last Red-winged & Ringneck Parrots for the trip, Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, a lone Olive-backed Oriole, Brown, Singing & Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters, Double-barred Finches, Little Friarbird and Little Ravens. Our return back through Mendooran, Dunedoo, Merriwa and the Hunter Valley produced no new birds for the trip but good views were had of more Wedge-tailed Eagles, Emus, Brown Falcons and a few Jacky Winters.

Great weather, great company, great dining and a good birds, our birdlist being 132 at the end of the 5 days!

Alan Morris