birding-aus

RE: strange gull at Boat Harbour, Kurnell

To: "'Dean Portelli'" <>, <>
Subject: RE: strange gull at Boat Harbour, Kurnell
From: "Bruce Roubin" <>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 06:24:56 +1000
G'day,
In answer to Dean Portelli's question:-
I was particularly aware of the bill size and shape difference of the
Pacific v's the Kelp, so when I saw the bill with the Pacific Gull
characteristics, then I quickly checked for the upper red spot to
confirm, and that was unmistakibly evident.
Neither the upper nor lower red spots however filled to the edges of the
bill tip.
The brown streaks on the nape looked the same as the illustration in the
Morecombe field guide for a Lesser Black-backed gull, except that they
did not extend up over the head.
I am sure that the tail had no black bar, it was all white - observed in
flight as well as perched.
When I indicated "white tips to primaries", they were different on the
folded wings of the resting bird to what you see in a kelp gull. They
formed only 3 spots on the side view, possibly corresponding only to
white tips except for the last 2-3 primaries.

Regards