birding-aus

a (longish) note on twitching and twitchers

To: "Andrew Stafford" <>,
Subject: a (longish) note on twitching and twitchers
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:20:21 +1000
On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:16:13 +1000, "Andrew Stafford"
<> said:
Hi all,

> I read David Geering's sign-off from his trip report from Dubbo with some
> interest, and would like to make a few comments for the public record.
>
> A few preparatory remarks are in order. First, I don't wish my comments
> to stir up the kind of personal rancour that periodically surfaces on
> birding-aus (thankfully all has been quiet on that front for some time; I
> just hope I don't speak too soon). Second, I appreciate that for many
> people on the list, the pros and cons of twitching is rather old hat: if
> so, look away now.

    Good reply Andrew, we all like to see new birds, and most of the
    'twitchers' I have met have contributed to the greater knowledge of
    birds and birding while chasing new species.

I, too, can recommend Mark Cocker's "Birders, Tales of a tribe" to all
birders, ESPECIALLY if you are, or were, a birder in England in the 60s -
90s. I think it will really appeal and bring back memories and there are
some great stories all birders can relate to.

The only place I have seen the book on sale to date was in Borders
bookshop in Brisbane. If you find it hard to find - I'm pretty sure there
are Borders in other states too and the staff are very helpful.

--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......