birding-aus

Copeland Nature Reserve NSW

To: <>
Subject: Copeland Nature Reserve NSW
From: "Penelope Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:34:54 +1000
Hello birders

Did a 2.45 hr walk Sunday morning in between rain showers, through Copeland Nature Reserve. It was noisy with Brown Gerygones and Thornbills, Lewin's and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Yellow Robins, Golden Whistlers, cuckoos, etc., and could hear Brown Cuckoo-doves and a Wompoo in the background.

I took the sharp left hand track at the picnic table which leads up through giant Stinging trees, eventually coming to a look-out, which I didn't reach as the track became very obstructed with fallen trees and lianas just after a huge strangler fig. Here I met with 3 Superb Lyrebirds foraging in the undergrowth. An assumed young male (he had only one half grown lyre feather in his tail), was very suspicious of me and hissed, grated, gurgled and screeched while hopping up onto fallen branches, back behind tree trunks, out again to see if I was still there. The two others, females, just carried on foraging.  I mimicked him and we had a loud competing discussion, about I know not what, joined in by two White-browed Scrub-wrens, until I thought I had disturbed his foraging enough. He never vocalised any bird songs, just an amazing variety of ear splitting screeches and whistles, some like chalk on a blackboard, while raising the small black crest on his head.

On retracing my steps down, I saw another 3 lyrebirds and heard 2 more singing. Also disturbed Bassian Thrush, Wompoo (only this one which was wompoo-ing seemingly alone) and Wonga pigeons, and Brush Turkey.

But no signs of Logrunners or Noisy Pittas.

And it has since rained, and rained. My garden is a quagmire.