birding-aus

Capertee Tree Planting success

To: Birding-Oz <>
Subject: Capertee Tree Planting success
From: Timothy Hyde <>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:13:50 -0700
Would like to take this opportunity to publicly thank
the Regent Honeyeater Recovery team for their support
of our private tree planting project in the Capertee Valley (NSW).

Lynda and I preferred to take a "do it ourselves" approach
in the planting of our granted 1000 trees. We felt the fragile nature of
our block might suffer too much from the usual "locust swarm" method.

So it's taken two years, spread over four Autumn/Springs.
Each tree planted with care and watered by hand.
It might have been quicker but we took time off to dig the telecom trench,
wait out the worst of the drought and of course other minor distractions
like work and the bush fires in the mountains.

And now they're all in!! A great mix of white box and iron bark
with plenty of  acacia as understory. We've lost a few of course,
but we have now effectively linked three Regent 'hotspots" within the property.

But it hasn't been all work. During that time we've pushed up the property
bird list to 128 species. All work of course halted to watch the resident little eagles
and the barking owls bring up young and we were surprised as anyone to find
budgies at the front gate. Plum headed Finchs, Grey Crowned Babblers,
Hooded Robins and Chestnut-Rumped Heathwrens have all been welcome
guests to the new birdbaths at the backdoor and we look forward to the change of climate that will once again trigger another onslaught of Xanthomyza phrygia back
into the valley.

So thanks to David Geering and the committee and also to Sue & Mike Pridmore
for their advice and encouragement over the last two years

Timothy Hyde  &  Lynda Holmes
Blue Mountains / Capertee Valley