birding-aus

Collimation

To: 'Paul and Irene Osborn' <>,
Subject: Collimation
From: Bill Stent <>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:49:57 +1000
Paul

My mum has a pair of Vixen Ultima 10x42, which I bought for her a few years back.  They're good lenses in the right light.  I personally use a Vixen Ultima 10x56, which are great in low light, if heavy.  The pupil of the 8x56 are larger than my eye in good light, so the extra weight is a waste on a bright day.

Vixen is nowhere near as rugged as the Zeiss, and will crack or break if dropped, as the cylinders are made of plastic.

The 10x42 cost about $450 a few years back, and the 10x56 were about $750 in 1998.

However, they don't really compare with my spare bins, a very old Zeiss Jena which are about 8x42.

I'd be a bit more argumentative.

Bill