birding-aus

Tawny Frogmouth at Geelong Botanical Gardens

Subject: Tawny Frogmouth at Geelong Botanical Gardens
From: Peter Fuller <>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:14:06 +1000

This afternoon, a friend was showing me the location of the Gang gang Cockatoos he saw earlier in the morning in Eastern Park, Geelong.

After spotting a single Gang gang in a large gum on the entrance to the Geelong Botanical Gardens, we searched the surrounding trees, thinking that it was strange for a Gang Gang to be in a tree all by itself. Scanning the trees with my binoculars, something grabbed my attention out the corner of my eye; it was my  friend waving frantically and jumping around trying to catch my attention. He pointed excitedly into a pine tree, and i shuffled over as fast as i caught, but with the caution of not scaring away what he was pointing at. After a moment of squinting and adjusting to the darkness under the pines, my eyes focussed.  A pair of Tawny Frogmouths!!! in roost on a low branch in the pine tree. Extraordinary! A new bird for both of us in the wild in the most unlikely of places, at the most unlikely of times(12 noon on a cloudless Saturday afternoon). Definently a birding highlight....i'm still a little shocked!

I searched the archives and see that tawny frogmouths have been reported in Queens park and are  very common throughout the Brisbane Ranges, but have they ever been recorded so close to the city?

Peter