birding-aus

Around Kirk Point

Subject: Around Kirk Point
From: (Russell Woodford)
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 15:00:02 +1000
Yesterday I made a quick detour to the area near Kirk Point on the way back
from Melbourne.  Kirk Point is between the southern and of the Western
Treatment Plant and the Murtcaim wildlife reserve at Point Wilson.  It was
about half an hour before sunset. There were plenty of all the usual suspects,
plus the following species that I found a little more interesting:

Along Pt Wilson Rd:
Pink Robin ('brown' bird)
Grey Fantail
Red-rumped Parrot
Whistling Kite (not unusual - but the fact I couldn't find any other birds of
prey perhaps was unusual)

Lake near southernmost gate of WTP:
37 Freckled Duck close to nearside bank, nearly all upending.  More FD further
across lake.  Other usual birds around here, but no Pink-eared or Musk Duck
that I could see, no Shelduck)
A single Crested Pigeon near here as well.

Near the boat launching area  - through the gate on the right and  a little way
along a dirt track.  This is the usual Striated Heathwren spot - couldn't find
any today
On the rocks were one each of Red-necked Stint, Sanderling (!)  and Common
Greenshank.

A single Brolga flew across towards the ponds where they have been recorded in
recent years.  Great sight against the fading sun.

Russell Woodford
Geelong