birding-aus

Grey Fantails on migration?

To: "" <>
Subject: Grey Fantails on migration?
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:17:57 +1000
About midday in our Ivanhoe (Vic.) back-garden, I went down to look at
Darebin Creek (our back boundary). As I came uphill again, there was a
tremendous twitter and song from several Grey Fantails all whizzing
about in our small group of Red Gums and nearby shrubs. They were very
numerous but so active that it was very difficult to count them - at
least twelve present, probably more, perhaps as many as 20, and all so
dark-coloured as to be almost black above.  I had repeated good views as
individuals paused briefly on branches, twigs, the bean-trellis, and the
fuchsia bush.
   Over summer we have frequently been visited by a semi-resident pair,
which seem to be somewhat lighter grey in colour than today's visitors.
I assume that today's flock were part of a migratory movement. They were
feeding busily in our scale-affected gums and in shrubs and bushes.
Their song was continuous. Also heard were at least two Golden Whistlers
-more visitors- apparently in the gumtree top but impossible to find
though the swarm of Grey Fantails.
Also seen:
  1 Pied Currawong overhead
  2 Rainbow Lorikeets overhead
  A dozen Little Ravens overhead
In the back garden, the usual Eastern Spinebills, Whitebrowed
Scrubwrens, and Brown Thornbills plus a Blackbird or two, and a pair of
Spotted Doves.
Above the front garden, a gang of Noisy Miners en route to my
neighbour's birdfeeder, and more Spotted Doves and Brown Thornbills.

Anthea Fleming
Ivanhoe, Vic.