birding-aus

Magpie Geese in SW Victoria

To: <>
Subject: Magpie Geese in SW Victoria
From: "J & C Krohn" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 00:15:47 +1100
Evening, Folks.

A friend has just returned from a few days in south-west Victoria and reports seeing a flock of about 60 Magpie Geese on a wetland near Lake Yambuk, west of Port Fairy.  Possibly the recolonisation of Victoria by this former resident is gradually getting underway.

On a brief visit to Bribie Island on Wednesday, saw an Osprey that had caught quite a substantial fish in one of the new canals of the Pacific Harbours development.  The Osprey was flying so low along the canal that the fish kept bouncing on the suface, until after about 100 metres (possibly quite a bit longer as I didn't see where the actual capture occurred) the Osprey dropped the fish.  Perhaps it had realised it hadn't the ability to left the fish away from the water and was trying to jar it loose?  I don't know how easy it is for an Osprey to choose to release its prey in flight.  Anyway it circled around a couple of times and landed atop a catamaran's mast.  We imagined we could see it blushing with embarassment.

Sorry that it was such a fleeting visit that I couldn't try to catch up with Jill Dening or Trevor Ford, or look for the Laughing Gull.  However, we did have a quick look at the new high tide roost just north of the former Dux Creek entrance - most impressive interpretation area and a couple of good little hides.  Sadly, the tide was out so only a few Lapwings, Red-capped Plovers, a pair of Black-winged Stilts and solitary Eastern Curlew and Pied Oystercatcher to be seen.

Regards,

    Jack