birding-aus

Aus Field Guides (long)

To: Paul Coopmans <>,
Subject: Aus Field Guides (long)
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:52:50 -0800 (PST)

G'day Paul and Chris,

Oz being just a tad on the large size has this facet of birds moving around feeding on what's available due to the when and where circumstance.

Best I have found and use is for peoples planning to visit Oz is for them to make contact with a local yokel birdo. He can then give an up to date account of what he has at that time in his area? or when here the tourist/birdo can read the email reports on Birding-Aus or many other such email lists we have here in Oz. Some like to go out on the shelf to see sea birds, others like to journey to the Alps .... some like wetlands whilst others prefer the deserts.

The distance factor is the curse I think, but it is also loved.

Paul Coopmans <> wrote:

Dear Birdnetters

Any comments about the old (early 80s) Pizzey & Doyle?

MUCH of thee info in Pizzey and Doyle is still applicable.

Also, do any of the field guides state the total range of the bird?

Most of them do I think do this? it comes down to how a map is read.

As a first time visitor to Australasia it would be useful for me to know which of the birds are endemic to Australia (for a number it is easy to figure out as their depicted range is somewhere near the center or south of the continent) and which occur more widely. Simpson & Day seems to have no indication of this, Pizzey & Doyle does (these are the only two I have).

Paul can I say that every one that I have helped out whilst in Oz have used the internet to assist them. I think Oz is ahead of the rest of the world re: Thee Internet and internet usage. Sid and Sharon have posted much loved emails to me and many on the Birding-Aus email list whilst they toured down-under in their wombat shelter.

Cheers, Paul
Paul Coopmans
Quito, Ecuador

John A. Gamblin (re-tyred) now to get a new push bike bell.

Do you Yahoo!?