birding-aus

Blaxland (Blue Mtns Birds)

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Blaxland (Blue Mtns Birds)
From: "Matt Hughes" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:41:01 +1100
Hello,
Quite a bit of activity about lately with White-naped H/Es & Rufous Fantails showing up; also a visit from a New Holland H/E which are very occasionally seen here. The highlight though, was a single Square-tailed Kite & then 2 birds a few days later (a new bird for our home & list). Other new birds included a Mistletoe Bird & three high flying Pelicans - an excited spotting over morning tea (lookout coffee & muffins every where in the scramble for bins & all to view before the trees interrupted views (didn't initially impress Coralie who my son Madison & I are trying to 'encourage' on the birding front but she did spot the 2nd Square-tailed kite - hope remains). This reminds me that morning teas & breakfasts out the back are proving quite satisfactory as recently we were treated to a Peregrine Falcon cruising with investigative menace low in over the trees (no need for the bins that time but must remember what was on the menu).

It could have been a false alarm but Maddie thought he spotted some Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens across the road - hopefully this proves to be the case as they haven't been seen since the Christmas 2001 fires. White-browed Scrubwrens have returned to a couple of the escarpment gullies & there has been the occasional Spotted Quail Thrush. Since the dogs have gone, Eastern Whip Birds & especially Superb Lyre Birds are frequent visitors, the latter of which leave huge 'deposits' on the back deck, working against our efforts to 'encourage' Coralie.

Well it must be time for morning tea - out the back & a quick clean up before the evidence is spotted,
Matt