birding-aus

Autumn birds

Subject: Autumn birds
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:55:19 +1100
It's a perfect autumn day here in Katoomba and all morning the sky has been
dotted with Spotted Pardalotes, Welcome Swallows and Noisy Friarbirds going
north. I also heard one party of White-naped Honeyeaters but the large
numbers of migrating honeyeaters haven't appeared yet (although there was
some minor movement of Yellow-faced through here during February).

The Red-browed Finches have bred up over the past few weeks and are in
particularly high numbers at the moment. The other day we saw a large flock
in the Megalong Valley looking like a living, moving carpet as they fed on
the ground. In my garden they appear to be feeding on the seeds of various
tiny weeds (I knew there was a reason I haven't weeded recently). It's also
good to see a few of the robins around, with at least four male Scarlet
Robins in different spots in the Megalong, and Flame Robins on Shipley
Plateau and Mount York.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets