birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:53:33 +1100

As always there is plenty to see at the Western Treatment Plant.  Each day in the past week there has been some different bird to excite me.

Last week we had the pleasure of taking many  visitors around our little patch of Paradise.

A couple of years ago I met a fellow from Malaysia, he was the first we had met who was into digiscope, he had engineered some very interesting attachments.  He made a returned visit with many more innovations; the remote cable that triggered the shutter was the most impressive so now we are concentrating on photography.  Has anyone else attached such a cable to a Nikon Coolpix, if so how did you do it?  We are finding the window mount for the telescope invaluable, particularly on a windy day and when the birds are restless.

There have been both Bar-tailed and Black-tailed Godwit feeding near the mouth of Little River.  There is/was a Wood sandpiper on the Conservation Lagoons, A Sing Bushlark at Kirk Point, today there was a Scarlet Robin flying around Lake Borrie, the Welcome Swallows were not true to their name, they were really harassing him!  Again there were Crested Grebes on the Little River.

There were a couple of Double-banded Plover,who have returned from N.Z., were on the Murtcaim Lagoons, what big eyes they have!

Musk Duck have very enlarged pouches; the Freckled Ducks’ bills are tinged with red, seems breeding season is coming. Waders are certainly starting to show breeding plumage too.  Soon they will be off to Siberia.

At the moment we are all very frustrated by the locking system, there seem to be no G2 locks and it is very easy to be locked in , I will phone again and report the situation, maybe you should phone before venturing onto the plant.

Shirley Cameron

Werribee