birding-aus

Masked Lapwings

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Masked Lapwings
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 16:25:43 -0800 (PST)

G'day Elizabeth, Bill and all,

Here in Hastings we have five families of territorian Masked Lapwings, always an absolute pleasure to see hear and see them. They remind me of a highly melodic Somerset choir? if my memory serves me right "Dan Wurzel and the Turnips" was the choirs name. A few decades back I helped out a young ML and from that moment on I knew the reason for the need of thick chamois leather hand gloves.

Not long after that of course I became a spurs supporter.

When they are feeding, more then nine times out of ten, it's been a case of the wide open spaces for the locals here ... I think this affords them better protection as their eyesight and visual perspectives is truly brilliant.

BILL: I've privately emailed you and you know my thoughts about those who believe we humans rule instead of live with the environment? but inform them try thick heavy curtains that can be drawn to greatly reduce any outside noise. If they get curtains of a thickness to match their enviromental knowledge then that might not be thick enough. Wonder why Bill found it difficult to frame a response? ....

Abba bewt day et al ..... the protected wild Masked Lapwings are on vacant land eh? vacant land owned by whom?

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/05/1046826438059.html

Might ask if we could charge certain people different rates?

Grumpy olde JAG fanking many for the fone cawls last night.

Oh yes before I head out for the day,

Dear Mr. Veerman,

YES I did offer you a roof over your head after the worst Canberra fires in living memory, I have many big umbrella's ... the big one for you is green and gold of course, very patriotic eh ^D>>>

Elizabeth Shaw <> wrote:

Dear Bill, et al,

Phillip Island has a very high density of Masked Lapwings, but I've noticed they prefer cleared, vacant land for feeding, nesting etc. My garden has a relatively small area of lawn and buildings and or trees & bushes around. I've never had any Lapwings nesting on my property - they occasionally come up the drive and venture into the back yard. I presume they need more open space than my property can offer them, although I wouldn't mind them taking up residence. Almost all the neighbouring houses with little or no garden are used by the resident lapwings, especially if they are not occupied by humans all the time.

Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island (SE of Melbourne)