birding-aus

The Puny Twitch's most wanted.

To: Birding_aus <>
Subject: The Puny Twitch's most wanted.
From: J and A Flack <>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 15:10:36 +1100 (EST)
Hello again,

As promised in a previous report you will find my
'want list' following. It is compiled from my own
previous records, those of others (hope I haven't
forgotten any!) and from trawling the Birding-Aus
archives (what an amazing resource). Some of these
have only been seen once or twice in the inner city
but Paul Peake has convinced me to be positive. It
sure is paying dividends so far!

The last 'certainty' on the 'want list' was Little
Wattlebird.  They have returned to around home in the
last couple of weeks, so it was easy to tick one in
the front yard (West Brunswick) one morning.

There have been other recent removals from the list as
well. I ticked Striated Pardalote Wednesday evening in
Royal Park West (near Melbourne Zoo). I have only seen
them there once before.  Westgate Park has yielded two
more ticks. I added Red-kneed Dotterel there about a
week ago. There were three roosting on the bank of a
tiny island in the Freshwater Lake (strange name, you
won't catch me drinking from it). But the real
surprise was a solitary Pink-eared Duck I spotted
there yesterday afternoon, bringing the two-month
total to 92. This one wasn't even on the 'want list'!
But who's complaining? I went there in the hope that
the Baillon's Crake might still be there. No luck, but
what compensation!

Speaking of dips, I've been looking for swifts each
day and the only time I've seen them was a few
kilometres outside my Puny Twitch area. It's similar
with Nankeen Night Heron. I saw a beauty on the Merri
Creek (whilst doing a reccie) last weekend, but of
course this doesn't count because I wasn't commuting
from work on my bike. I'm not too concerned however,
because I've several great leads for sites to spot
this bird.

I'm finding that since starting the Puny Twitch I'm
seeing lots more birds generally. And I haven't had to
set the alarm clock any earlier either! Because I'm
more attuned to the surrounding sounds and movements
I'm reaping the benefits, even on my usual patch. So I
guess the secret is 'to be alert (but not alarmed)'!

Cheers,

Alan Flack

The 'want list'
1. Australasian Shoveler