birding-aus

Drunken Sulphur-crtested Cockatoos

To: <>
Subject: Drunken Sulphur-crtested Cockatoos
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:29:19 +1100
Hi Birders,
While I have had no experience with drunken Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, when I was the NPWS Manager in Coonabarabran in the late 1970s, one Christmas, when the backyard apricot trees had fruit ripe to pick, we had a lot of rain over a three day period. The apricots split with all the moisture and started to ferment on the tree. Musk Lorikeets came into the town to feed on the apricots. Many Lorikeets gorged themselves on the fermenting apricots and fell to the ground dis-orientated (drunk?). A few people collected them and put them in cages, like one man had 11 Musk Lorikeets, with the object of selling them. The birds were soon OK by the following day. My contacts in the town dobbed some of these "citizens" in and I went around to talk to them and managed to persuade those citizens to release the birds under threat of prosecution. All birds were released that I know of. This situation only occurred once during my stay of 8 years in Coonabarabran.

Alan Morris
Birding NSW Records Officer.