birding-aus

Black-eared Cuckoo

To: <>
Subject: Black-eared Cuckoo
From: "TERRILL NORDSTROM" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:43:01 +1100
Had a great weekend with my mate Darryl Mckay and a number of banders at Burrendong Dam (or that big almost dry hole) near Wellington NSW where they banded a number of birds such as Speckled Warblers, Red-capped Robin, Buff-rumped Thornbills ect plus seen a number of Woodland birds like Hooded Robins. Down the road from the Dam we saw  ten groups of White-winged Choughs (114 birds) in a large paddock, they were no more than 500mts apart, has anybody seen such a large number of Choughs so close together. Also saw 11 Blue-billed Ducks at Meadow Flat 7 males 4 female but the best bird of the weekend was a young Black-eared Cuckoo being fed by Superb Fairy-wrens at Wallerawang Power Station. I have spent years trying to find this bird but always missed it, now I'm a happy man it does not get better then this.