birding-aus

Penboc outing to Greens Bush, Mornington Peninsula, Vic

To: <>
Subject: Penboc outing to Greens Bush, Mornington Peninsula, Vic
From: "Val Ford" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:19:20 +1100
Our eagerly awaited first Penboc outing - Baldrys circuit in Greens Bush - for the year took place yesterday, Wednesday 12th February.  With the weather perfect for birding - temperature of low 20's and no wind - 15 birdos gathered around our leader, Ian Dowling in the Baldrys Crossing carpark.

However even before Ian had finished his preamble many White-throated Needletails were spotted overhead. A few minutes later, whilst attempting to cross the road, Wedge-tailed Eagles - first one, then 2 and finally 3 - were seen soaring overhead. Were they waiting for a road kill?  We saw the wedgies many times during the morning and at one stage heard what we assumed was the young pleading with its parents for food.

Early into the walk we had ticked Brown & Striated Thornbills, Common Bronzewing, Eastern & Crimson Rosella, Superb Fairy-wren, Grey Fantail, Spotted Pardalote. Eastern Yellow Robins were everywhere.

A White-browed Scrubwren climbed up into a eucalypt for easy viewing whilst a Fan-tailed Cuckoo sat silently nearby. Red-browed Finches flittered across the track and a White-throated Treecreeper did the treecreeper thing just in front of us.

Whilst looking at a Laughing Kookaburra a Rufous Fantail  fluttered around in our binocular field of view. Soon after a Satin Flycatcher was seen attending to fledged young. As both the Rufous Fantails and Satin Flycatchers are only with us for a short time they are special summer migrant for us down here.

A Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike was heard calling for some time before finally showing itself and the calling Australian Raven was not seen. Screeching Sulphur-crested Cockatoos were seen, luckily just in one area.

A female or immature Rufous Whistler was noted then a short time later a female Golden Whistler showed itself.

However the bird call that had us all scratching our heads - was it  a rosella or a blackbird or a chattering magpie calling from the mistletoe - turned  out to be an  immature Grey Shrike-thrush. Once the beautiful streaking on the front and the tan eyebrow were seen the source of the mimicry was found.

Eight honeyeaters were seen - Red Wattlebird, Noisy Miner, Eastern Spinebill, & Yellow-faced, White-eared, Brown-headed, White-naped & New Holland Honeyeaters. The White-eared and White-naped Honeyeaters were attending fledged young.

Back at the cars  for lunch we ticked off Grey Butcherbird, Common Blackbird, Common Myna, Australian Magpie, Rainbow Lorikeet.  At bird call the total for the mornings outing was found  to be 37 species. And as many of the birds  we overhead we all went  home with very stiff necks.

Val Ford
Sorrento, Vic