birding-aus

Sooty Owls encore

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Sooty Owls encore
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 23:45:56 +1000
G'day,

When I wrote about the encounter with Sooty Owls the other night I included,
as a matter of course, details of the area where they were seen.  But, upon
referring to various texts, I learned that the calls we heard given by the
female were probably from her at the (prospective) nest site as she
solicited the male for food.  It would seem likely that this was part of a
courtship ritual rather than the feeding of young, as it's still a bit early
in their nesting season.  The owl was calling from so close to us that I
thought it best to be vague about the exact spot and thus deleted the
details.  If a succession of birders were to descend on the area with tape
recorders at the ready it would almost certainly disrupt their attempts to
breed (the owls, that is).

Since I sent my posting I've received several emails, mostly from friends,
and almost all enquiring as to where the birds were seen.  I hate
suppressing anything but I'm sure you'll agree that it would be
irresponsible of me to advertise the site.  In fact, one friend who emailed
me suggested that they'd already been taped out in an area close to
Brisbane.  I guess I'd give details if pressed but I'd like to think that
nobody will want to pursue this further.

Whatever happened to the hollow tree in the Bunya Mountains where you could
peer up the rear end of a roosting Sooty Owl, if you see what I mean?

And if anyone out there is in touch with John Young, Lord of the Owls,
please say hi from me.

Cheers - Trevor.