birding-aus

Square-tailed Kite at Julatten, Nth Qld

To: "Messages Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Square-tailed Kite at Julatten, Nth Qld
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:40:25 +1000
G'day all,

In the last 7 weeks I have visited the north east coast area 3 times trying see a few of the rain forest birds.
Well I saw a lot and heard even more .. but in spite of getting a stiff neck I still missed on several of the high foliage roosting species.
(Waders are a lot easier .. except for that bit about identifying them !)

Well, I joined the North Queensland group of Birds Australia for the Australia Day weekend at Ron Stannard's Kingfisher Park at Julatten.
Julatten is about 10km north of Mount Molloy at the northern end of the Atherton Tablelands.

On the monday morning, returning from a bird walk, I was in the resident guides (Andrew & Carol Iles) vehicle travelling along Eumula Ck Rd.
Carol said "their is a Raptor .. I wonder what it is ? "
She stopped the car and we got out to find that we had driven under the bird roosting on tree just overhead. In fact it was only 20 metres from us and filled my binos.

It was a Square-tailed Kite !

But that's not all !

It slowly opened its tail to display the barring and then opened its wings for an even better view.

By this time Darlene Kneen had joined us in her 4wd and also got a good view.
I of course did not bring my camera that day.

I had been told that KfP had a great roll call of birds but that was out of the box !

It was a wonderful weekend with everyone (especially Keith Fisher) going out of their way to point out and ID the local birds for me.
The 2800km round trip was well worth it.

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Queensland