birding-aus

Fork-tailed Swifts and raptors in the Blue Mtns

Subject: Fork-tailed Swifts and raptors in the Blue Mtns
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:12:32 +1100
Hi all,

Just had a phone call from Isobel Evans at Blackheath to tell me she saw a
flock of 8-10 Fork-tailed Swifts flying over at about 1pm, in cool and
overcast conditions with intermittent drizzle.

Also, yesterday morning as I walked to the shops I had two great raptor
sightings within minutes. First an Australian Hobby flew over with typical
hobby dash and swiftness - probably the same bird which flashed past my
window the previous day causing havoc amongst the local cockatoos. Then,
200 metres further on I noticed the much more solid Peregrine Falcon
perched on the antenna on top of the Blue Mountains City Council
headquarters. This, or another, Peregrine always used to sit on top of the
Carrington Hotel chimney in the centre of Katoomba but I haven't seen it
there for a while.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets