birding-aus

Laughing Gull 2003 update 11

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Laughing Gull 2003 update 11
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:27:10 +1000
G'day,

The Laughing Gull has been available on Bribie Island for the past few days.
It seems reasonably settled and was roosting on the sandspit adjacent to
Buckley's Hole at 6.30 pm tonight (Tuesday).  It is, however, rapidly losing
its breeding plumage and it won't be too long before it assumes a plumage
similar to that when it first appeared in April.

So if you fancy a day on Bribie with a Laughing Gull and assorted Scoopy's
delights, come and visit.  But if you're after a black head you'd be best
advised to divert to Samsonvale and the Black Honeyeaters.

Incidentally, I tried to go into one of my favourite birding areas on Bribie
today, only to find the place billowing with smoke.  I couldn't see and I
could hardly breathe.  But I could hear the crackling.  A change in the
direction of the wind this afternoon meant that even Buckley's Hole was
getting a bit smokey.  And to think that most of these fires are started
wilfully.

Other good birds at Buckley's Hole recently have been Spotless Crake (1),
Buff-banded Rail (2 adults with 3 chicks), Latham's Snipe (4) and Rufous
Night Heron (1 adult).

Cheers - Trevor.