birding-aus

Congratulations Sean Dooley

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Congratulations Sean Dooley
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 00:27:09 +1100
Most of you have heard by now about Sean's magnificent year of birding - 703
species within Australia in 2002.  Last Saturday a few of us gathered at a
pub
in North Fitzroy for a surprise congratulations party.  Now, you'd think
someone
who can track down 700+ species in a year would have his ear to the ground
and you'd be right!  Sean gathered intelligence from 3 separate sources to
confirm that the party was on, who'd be there, and what they would be
wearing
(OK I might be exaggerating a little here).  What he did NOT know was that
birding-aus members would be there - as well as his work friends and others
-
and that there would be photographs to commemorate the occasion.

Those who have followed Sean's progress through the year, from his highly
entertaining reports, may wonder what pure genius looks like.   Is talent
like
this written on the face?  (Oops, I'm plagiarising Schaffer now...)

So - for those who want to know who Sean Dooley is, and who want to keep an
eye
out for him on the next twitchathon, or for when he does 600 species on a
long-weekend, or 100 species in a single breath, here is a shot of the merry
party.

If you look closely you should be able to identify a number of Birding-Aus
luminaries.  Due to the new Privacy Act I am not allowed to say who is who.
Not
sure how you'll work ot who Sean is....  some of the more astute birding-aus
readers may even  be able to ID some of the cheap porcelain birds brought
along
for the occasion.  John Harris is wearing one, I think.

Photo courtesy of Michael Norris, who is in the photo as well.  Apologies to
those of you who don't like attachments (normally banned on Birding-Aus -
but as
list manager I've got to have some perks!)  And sorry it's taken so long to
send
this, but it took me this long to work out how to get it through my
filters!!

Thanks to Karen Pearson and Lorna for organising the night - the FIRST EVER
birding-aus function that had no live birds recorded.  We must have more of
these!  And of course, congratulations again to Sean for his Herculean
effort.

Cheers

Russell Woodford