birding-aus

Copeland State Forest

To: <>
Subject: Copeland State Forest
From: "Penelope Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:10:10 +1100
Dear Birders

Took a walk with a birding friend last Sunday up the old forestry road past the Gold Mine at Copeland S.F (nw of Gloucester, NSW - 32 00 08 / 1511 49 06) from 6.30 am.  Best sights were

1. Pair of Logrunners sitting on logs, scratching in the litter, and looking at us while we looked at them for a good 5 minutes.

2. A mega bathing incident at a point in the track where it bends left and on the right is a sharp drop through thick scrub and creepers to several pools remaining in the creek bed.  We watched a Yellow Robin, 2 Eastern Spinebills,  Grey and Rufous Fantails, Silvereyes, Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters bathing, with a Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Spectacled Monarch and Grey Shrike-thrush watching - and Brown Thornbills and Brown Gerygones busy in the bush behind us. There were lots of useful creepers across the creek bed which provided perfect preening spots for the often very wet birds; Yellow-faced and White-naped HEs were the most active "dunkers", often flying up into the sun light to preen in the open, while the fantails incorporated feeding along with a bit of bathing. On the way back about 1.5 hrs later, there were two male Golden Whistlers indulging all on their own.

3. Further back down the track we found a family of Black-faced Monarchs (adult pair with 2 fledglings) being very noisy in a sunlit opening in the thick rainforest - calling loudly (reminded me of Whipbirds graty noisies) and chasing insects, and preening in between bouts of activity.

But there were no figs in the fig trees and therefore no Wompoo Pigeons in the fig trees, although we heard them along with Noisy Pittas, Brown Cuckoo-doves and Wonga Pigeons.

And last night it rained in Gloucester !!!! Wonderful but we still want more.... as does almost everyone in Australia except a few up in the north.