birding-aus

Fires near Glen Davis

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Fires near Glen Davis
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:19:46 +1100

It has been claustrophobically smoky here in Capertee Valley since last
Friday, view obliterated, some days up to 43 degrees, drought returned with
a vengeance.  Milder yesterday and today, smoke much less.  Heard on local
radio the fire was "5 km east of Glen Davis" and also affecting Newnes, with
four other fires in remote parts of Wollemi still burning.  No flames in the
Valley itself, that I know of, yet.  Wallabies and birds desperate for
water, a neighbour has donated some pelletted cattle feed (compressed
lucerne etc) and I'm putting out some for the wallabies, I don't like
feeding wildlife but already they've lost the joeys that they had in the
springtime, and look thin and bedraggled.  I have water out for them of
course, mostly Red-necked Wallabies, Wallaroos and Swamp Wallabies, plus a
few Eastern Grey Kangaroos.  There's just a few pools left in parts of Coco
Creek, one thrashing pool yesterday contained a cruising huge Red-bellied
Black Snake, a very large eel, a long necked tortoise and several Cox's
Gudgeon (fish) - a lively mix indeed!  It's been an awful year for the
birds, none nesting around my area at all, numbers and species greatly
reduced, haven't seen or heard a single cuckoo this season.

Vicki Powys
Capertee Valley NSW