birding-aus

Parrots and water

Subject: Parrots and water
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:07:01 +1100
Tony Russell asked about the relative needs for water of various birds.
Seed-eaters must drink regularly, as there is no (or very little) moisture
in seeds. This is why in bush lore, finches, pigeons and parrots are
regarded as good indicators of water in the desert. Insectivorous and
carnivorous birds get more moisture in their food and so do not need to
drink as often. However that's not so say that they don't enjoy a drink
like everyone else if given the opportunity, especially in hot weather.

Despite Tony's observations at his birdbath, I usually find honeyeaters to
be particularly enthusiastic bathers, often dominating a dam, puddle or
birdbath and lining up on nearby branches to wait their turn at diving in.
Honeyeaters at water always seem to me like the hedonists of the bird world!

I reckon almost nothing beats sitting beside an inland dam at the end of a
hot day and watching the parade of birds coming in to drink.

Cheers

Carol