birding-aus

Lesser Frigate Bird at Mount Isa

To: "Messages Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Lesser Frigate Bird at Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:25:11 +1000
G'day all,

I received this e-mail message last Friday from one of our local National Parks staff.

"I've just observed a lesser frigate bird 80.5km east along the road from Camooweal.  It was approximately 50m in the air and badly struggling northwards.  I couldn't hang around and I didn't manage a picture."

On Saturday he phoned me advising me of another sighting adjacent the Radio Transmitter hill at the eastern end of Pamela Street.

I quickly drove there, picked up Peter and we drove out along the hills following its gliding flight to the South .. but had no luck.

It was drizzling at the time after 1-1/2 days of rain with another 60mm arriving by Monday night. This was our first substantial rain in over a year.

The co-ordinates for the observations are:
Friday     17/01/2003 - S20.12865 E138.84005 1330hrs
Saturday 18/01/2003 - S20.7319   E139.5066   0945hrs

Peter, who is experienced with this species identified it as a Female Adult.

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Queensland