birding-aus

Black-tailed Godwits at Mount Isa

To: "Messages Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Black-tailed Godwits at Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:16:28 +1000
g'day all,
1
I had a quick 1-1/2 hour look at Wide Bay (lake Moondarra) late last Saturday afternoon.
The level continues to drop. Only a handfull of birds were on the water. It appears many of the birds have lost their food source. There are now no floating weeds at the lake and the lake surrounds have negligable grass.

Only one Black Swan was present.  But 3 have moved into some river pools in the CBD and another 2 are at the Sewage ponds. During normal seasons we have many 100s (sometimes +700) at the lake, and a several pairs often get around to breeding.  One of our National Parks chaps is caring for an undernourished Swan at his home.

I did see however two groups of Black-tailed Godwits (16 + 10) and a few Freckled Ducks (2 + 2)

As I drove around the Lake edge , one of the two Jabiru present kept moving ahead of me . What a beautiful bird ! Each time it landed it would hover in the wind and land oh so gently.

The lack of Black-fronted Dotterels continues. But they have been generally replaced by Red-kneed Dotterels.
(Likewise White-breasted Woodswallows have replaced the Black-faced Woodswallow in the CBD)

2
I revisited the lake again late today.
The 28 species observed included ...
Godwit, Black-tailed              37
Duck, Freckled                      15
Jabiru                                        2
Bustard, Aust                           3 (2 were drinking)
Cormorants (4 species)
Sea-eagle, White-bellied      1
Tern, Whiskered                 +50

The only other visiting shorebirds were Sharp-tailed and Marsh Sandpipers.

Regards,
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Queensland.