birding-aus

Forest Raven ? at the Butchers

To: <>
Subject: Forest Raven ? at the Butchers
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 10:56:54 +1100
Hi all

I would appreciate some input from any "Corvid experts" in relation to a bird I saw yesterday.

Location : 1 bird sitting on an extended beam from the roof behind the butchers shop in the main street of Dungog, NSW.

Description: Moulting and feathers in fairly poor condition. Throat hackles present but not as extensive as Aus Raven. Colour of down at base of hackles not seen

Call: kaarr kaarr kaarr lacking the wail of Aus Raven at the end though I have often watched Aus Ravens at home sit and call without the wail and as they fly off, trail off with the wail. As this bird called its tail moved downwards and both wings upwards in unison.

Having done very little birding in the south I am not familiar with the Little Ravens wing movements whilst calling. Pizzey & Knight tends to indicate a shuffle rather than both wings up in unison.

I have seen Forest Ravens recently over on the coast just south of Forster which is about an hour and a half from here and the birds calling there seemed to have the same wing and tail movements.

I just thought it unusual for a Forest Raven to be in town like that but maybe some southerners or Tasmanians could enlighten me further  on there habits as I am pretty certain it was a Forest Raven.

We have also had Torresian Crows moving south over the last few years and Little Ravens have been observed the other side of Barrington Tops nearer to Scone, some 2 hours or so away.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW