birding-aus

Migrant terns, Caloundra sandbanks, SEQ

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Migrant terns, Caloundra sandbanks, SEQ
From: jilldening <>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 08:43:13 +1000
Hello Everyone,

I haven't done a posting about the terns of the Caloundra sandbanks for a
long time, and so here is a general view of the movement of migrant terns
through Caloundra so far this season. It totals those positively identified
as Common, Little and White-winged Black, as well as those lumped under the
category of unidentified migrants. The latter are too hard to identify to
species level as they fly past at distance in mixed flocks as the day comes
to an end. Not included are Crested, Caspian, Gull-billed and Whiskered.

26/9/02          195
17/10/02         676
24/10/02         1,911
31/10/02           499
7/11/02         10,258
14/11/02         1,314
21/11/02         7,328
28/11/02        5,203
5/12/02          7,937
12/12/02        6,720
19/12/02        15,960
26/12/02        15,003
2/1/03            21,281

Our numbers can never be accurate, as there are so many birds on the move,
but the results are usually pretty close to reality. And our manner of data
collection is consistent.

Those of you who are coming along to my first tern identification day this
Saturday will surely be assured of plenty of birds.

Cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening