birding-aus

Wayward Brahminy deformed beak

To: "Tony Russell" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Wayward Brahminy deformed beak
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 22:42:24 +1100
Sorry I don't follow the bit about "Long-legged Buzzard in Robson". However I can say that I've seen exactly this form of deformed beak on captive individual(s) of Brahminy Kite(s). I think more than one bird but am not certain, I believe at Fleay's fauna park at the Gold Coast, Qld, about 20 years ago and maybe elsewhere as well. In that case the upper mandible was sort of like a Long-billed Corella's and the lower mandible was also deformed and twisted out to the side. I had the impression that its eating ability would be significantly hindered.

Philip