birding-aus

thanks

Subject: thanks
From: "pan" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 14:14:01 -0800
Greetings,

I'm now back in the cold northern hemisphere (Seattle), and after nearly
5 months in Australia, I want to publicly thank the many people there who
helped make my trip such a fantastic set of experiences.  In order of
appearance (and with apologies for spelling errors):
Grainne and Pam Maguire, U. of Melbourne, and the people visiting and at
Portland Aluminium
Max and Lois (and Helen and Doug) Phillips, and all the Portland Field
Naturalists
Joy Tansey (and accomplices Jen, Lois, Kim, and later, Irene)
Adam Rigg and Lee
Richard and Dian Nowotny
Ellen Mitchell and Deakin U.
Iain Voxwold
John Starks
Richard H (?, Lake St. Clair N. P. visitors' center)
Chris Tzaros and Birds Australia
Rhidian Harrington and the people at Gluepot Reserve
Wally Klau
Phil Maher
Mike Clarke
the people at Kingfisher Park
Sean Dooley
Ian Montgomery
Brian Venable
Colin Reid
Tom and Marie Tarrant
Tim O'Reilly
Sheryl Keats
Peter Sommerlad
Chris Gladstone

There are others who gave or offered help, but whom I never met, plus
citizens of other lands.  I got to spend most of my time as a volunteer
contributing to bird research and conservation, which was my hope.  I saw
something like 465 spp., about 409 new to me (one new to Australia,
you're welcome), plus bizarre mammals, reptiles, amphibians, insects,
fish, plants, ?  Best bird?  Perhaps Swift Parrot.  Biggest miss?  Rufous
Scrub-bird.  If you want the complete trip list, send a note.  Someday,
I'll hope for the center, north, and west.

Cheers,

Alan Grenon

Seattle
--