birding-aus

Southern Elephant Seal, Geelong, Victoria

To: <>, "Auscetnet" <>, "Victorian Cetacean Strandings Network" <>
Subject: Southern Elephant Seal, Geelong, Victoria
From: "Ecology Solutions" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:46:57 +1100
Hi,

An update on the Southern Elephant Seal at Pt. Henry, Geelong.

I headed down on Friday with Adrian Howard from Melbourne Zoo after receiving a call from Tehree Gordon of Jirrahlinga. When we arrived at about 13:00 it was high tide and the animal was resting on the beach at the end of Pt. Henry, next to the car park.

It appears to be a female; probably near maturity as she's about 2m in length (mature females might be about 2.5m).

Apparently she's been around for two weeks or so and she's been getting rather too much attention, dogs off leads, inquisitive teenagers etc. I don't think she's in any real danger - the greatest danger for those of us that wish to see these things in the natural environment is that they will be frustrated into disappearing. She was quite nervous of the people around her but otherwise seemed to be strong and healthy.

I popped in again yesterday but she was not on the beach. On this occasion however it was at the end of a very hot day and at low tide. As she's been there for a while, there is perhaps no reason to think she won't stick around.

If anyone does happen to visit I'd been keen to get another update posted. I would strongly recommend avoiding approaching any closer than about 3m from her - this is more for your sake than hers. As the site is highly disturbed anyway, an extra few people going and quietly watching her is not likely to be a problem for her - in fact it usually reduces disturbance for a short time.

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon Mustoe - Director

AES Applied Ecology Solutions Pty Ltd.
59 Joan Avenue
Ferntree Gully
Melbourne
Victoria 3156
AUSTRALIA

Telephone 03 9762 2616
International Telephone +61 (0) 3 9762 2616
Mobile 0405 220830
Website www.ecology-solutions.com.au