birding-aus

Rufous Scrub-bird and others

To: <>
Subject: Rufous Scrub-bird and others
From: "PJ (ITD)" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:48:16 +1000
I had the pleasure of staying at O'Reillys over the past weekend, the first time in almost 20 years. My son and I walked to the border on Saturday and had the pleasure of a Rufous Scrub-bird sighting near the Bithongabel lookout right on the border. It was a fleeting glimpse but right in front of us and long enough for even my 16 year old son who has little interest in birds (feathered ones at least) to note the slightly cocked tail. Any doubts were soon dismissed as we were treated to 15 minutes of uninterrupted song and chatterings as it moved around in the undergrowth not more than 5 metres from us.
On Monday morning I had a glorious encounter with a female Albert's Lyrebird on the West Canungra Creek track. After several days of unsuccessful searching I happened on this particular bird who made her presence aware with a typical vocal display. I was then able to view her for about 30 minutes as she scratched her way through the undergrowth and on to the track. Unlike my previous encounters with Lyrebirds it was I who left the scene first after such a wonderful sighting. Previous sightings were fleeting at best with the bird taking flight when my presence became obvious.
To top the weekend off on Monday afternoon when I arrived home I had the pleasure of watching 2 Striped Honeyeaters in my bird bath right on dusk. This is the first time I have seen them at home in Sinnamon Park (Brisbane's west). Has anyone seen them around lately?
Cheers

Peter