birding-aus

More on Fig-parrots

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: More on Fig-parrots
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:40:44 +1000
Greetings,

Yungaburra is full of Fig-parrots at the moment. The point of interest is that I am not seeing any females feeding before about 8am. By 9 am females are more numerous than males.

Breeding activity seems to have increased in the last few days since we are now getting storms. Riflebirds and Brush Turkeys have noticeably picked up their effort along with frogs and reptiles.

Early this morning I observed about 20 Eel-tailed Catfish mouthing the top of he water in our little creek. on closer examination I found one Black Bream and numerous rainbow fish doing the same. Could the slight increase in flow from our first storms have actually depleted the oxygen?

Have had reports of  a Papuan Harrier just a little south of Malanda. Will check it out and keep you informed. One of the local pairs of Spotted Harriers have been producing strange looking offspring for some time. These birds go on to look like perfectly normal adults.

Many White-rumped Swiftlets, about 100 Needle-tails, 20 Fork-tailed Swifts and two strangers have been observed in the last few days hawking over the town.

Pacific Baza are on eggs.

Water and birds are returning to Hasties Swamp near Atherton with White Browed Crakes showing well near the hide and Bush Hens on the paddock before the swamp.

Crane numbers seem to be down but are to be found in many paddocks either side of the Barron River which is also sporting a Little Egret at the Jim Chapman bridge (when I saw the sign go up a few years ago I thought he must have died. Not only do Qld pollies name things after their living mates they name them after themselves!)

Good birding,

Alan