birding-aus

RE: Whistles and Squeaks.

To: <>
Subject: RE: Whistles and Squeaks.
From: "Valerie Curtis" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 09:58:00 +1100
I am lucky enough to live in the territory of a couple of Sooty Owls and
when I first came here I spent many long, cold, wet hours making my own
recordings of the 'Scream' and 'Trilling' of these wonderful birds, which I
later used occasionally to call them in for viewing by groups of special
friends. I don't do that any more but sometimes while sitting outside on a
summer evening I give my pathetic weak whistle (How any owl could possible
think this sound comes from another owl is beyond my understanding!) and
usually within 5 minutes I hear the bird close by and sometimes am lucky
enough to see it fly overhead. The young birds are often around the house; I
think they might find bush rats and other mammals attracted by the birdseed
put out occasionally for parrots and rosellas. In the 14 years I have lived
here there has been no change in the habits of the Sooty's so I do not think
the use of tapes or whistles has had any effect. There are also other people
who use tapes in a nearby area frequently and as far as I know this has had
no ill effects on the birds.