birding-aus

Magpies drinking at the pub ..... G'day Jade

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Magpies drinking at the pub ..... G'day Jade
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:57:51 -0800 (PST)

G'day All, JAG here,

Re: Jade's very good question about magpie liquid intake requirements ......

I've studied these guys for some time now and I can't agree that their liquid intake comes mainly from there food source with or without sauce ...... on many an occasion I have seen Magpies scooping water from the top of a drying puddle, when we get a puddle that is. I think this is done to ensure they take the cleanest water? if this is so? then they must have been using available water sources for quite some time back through the eons of life on planet ark? they do learn quickly but I feel they have done this routine for some time and seems second nature to them? I have NOT however seen them drinking from a running stream?

Finks now what is a running stream again :^D>>>

I've also seen a magpie revist an open air drinking fountain every 20 minutes whilst the temperature on that day was well over 40 C? unafraid of the nearby humans who used the same cool water drinking as the magpie did. It seemed to take about 200 mls per hour on that day .......

I did once see a magpie drinking at a pub?

Out in the badly rutted car park from the pot holes :^D>>>

Ooroo JAG De Whag

Do you Yahoo!?