birding-aus

Malleefowl in Binya SF

Subject: Malleefowl in Binya SF
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:44:02 +1100
Hello all,

A few weeks back I mentioned that there had been an unconfirmed sighting of a Malleefowl in Binya SF (20 km E. Griffith in central west NSW). I'm in a position to confirm this record now because yesterday evening I watched and photographed a Malleefowl on two separate occasions separated by about half an hour!

Why the Malleefowl has remained unseen in Binya SF for so long remains a mystery. I've had a bit of a trawl through the records and found that there have been 3 records of Malleefowl within 30 km of Binya SF.

The birds at Pulletop NR which is about 40 km to the north-west (where Harry Frith conducted his research on malleefowl) appear to have gone extinct. The last record was of tracks in 1989.

mid 1970's- seen on the roadside about 20 km N. Garoolgan which is about 30 km to the north-east of Binya SF.
1981- "Acres"-  26 km NW of Binya
1977- "Culhane"- 20 km NE of Binya
1982- "Sifton Bush" 32 km NE of Binya
late 1970's- Alan Bairds property, 32 km NE of Binya.

Most of the mallee in these areas is long cleared and the closest known malleefowl are about 40km to the north-east where a couple of pairs are believed to be hanging on (last record 1999).

That malleefowl have hung on so close to Griffith is amazing and I can't help wondering whether they have moved in. Still, the obvious question then becomes moved from where!

Cheers

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW