birding-aus

Barn Owl in Suburbia, Sacred Kingfisher in Melbourne CBD... almost

Subject: Barn Owl in Suburbia, Sacred Kingfisher in Melbourne CBD... almost
From: "Tim Bawden" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:42:18 +1100
On a weekend when i was expecting to do no birding I had a couple of
interesting sightings.

Saturday morning at 3 am driving through the back streets of Clayton on the way
home from a party saw the ghostly shape of a Barn Owl in the headlights. Very
cool and the first live one i have seen around Melbourne.

Today I was in the Treasury Gardens next to parliament house waiting for a
friend when i heard a distinctive call above the chatter of sparrows and mynas.
On investigation I found 2 sacred kingfishers near the pond. This is within
"spitting distance" of the CBD so to speak. Needless to say my friend was
unimpressed ;-)

Cheers
Tim