birding-aus

Port Fairy pelagic 10 Nov 2002

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>, "Bill Ramsay" <>, "Stuart Cooney" <>, "Ashley Bunce" <>
Subject: Port Fairy pelagic 10 Nov 2002
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:08:28 -0000

PORT FAIRY (PF), VIC, PELAGIC TRIP REPORT, 10 NOVEMBER 2002

OBSERVERS: Chris Lester (organiser), Rob Berry, Peter Crabtree, Gail D’alton, Tim Dolby, Julie Hennessey, Tania Ireton, Frank Pierce, David Stickney, Chris Tzaros, Geoff Walker, Andrew Wells & Mike Carter (leader).

WEATHER: High-pressure system ridging in from the west. Occasional cloudy periods but mostly sunny with excellent, sharp, visibility. Cold. Wind up to 12 knots from the SW early but easing and backing to SE by 10.00.

SEA: Moderate (2-3 m sea), on a medium (2-4 m) SW swell early made it a rough, bumpy, ride out with plenty of spray. Sea moderating to a slop of about a metre by mid-day. In spite of that, no one was sick but some got very wet and others got sore with the buffeting. The trip back with a following sea was benign.

ACTIVITY: Sailed at 06.15. Headed out on a COG of 205º at 12.0 Kts. Very few birds inshore and offshore until just inside the shelf break when we saw a WHITE-HEADED PETREL, a species that entertained us all day. We stopped and berleyed here, from 08.45 to 09.30. This also attracted a WHITE-CHINNED PETREL. Then continued out into the pelagic zone where we had three stops over depths of up to 250 fathoms at a distance of up to 70 km from Port Fairy centred on 38º49’S 141º52’E. Our shark-liver and chopped fish berley quickly attracted birds to the boat. Best bird here was one of two ARCTIC TERNS. This hovered at ‘touching’ distance at the back of the boat suggesting it had been sponsored by Kodak. We were speeding in from the shelf break, which we departed at 12.40, when a LIGHT-MANTLED SOOTY ALBATROSS passed from east to west across our wake. Surfing the swells produced speeds of up to 17 Kts. Cruised the western and northern shores of Lady Julia Percy Is. (LJPI) from 14.30 to 14.55. Docked at 16.00.

FISH: The sounder detected large shoals of bait-fish near the surface out wide.

MAMMALS: About 5 Australian Fur Seals were scattered across the inshore and offshore zones and there were 1,000’s at LJPI.

BIRDS: 26 species of seabird beyond the river mouth indicated good diversity but none were really abundant and some (e.g. Black-browed Albatross) notable by their scarcity. The highlights are in capitals. Unless noted otherwise, those listed below were near or beyond the shelf break (i.e. pelagic).

Little Penguin:  1 on LJPI.

S. Giant Petrel: 1 juv.

Cape Petrel: 1.

Great-winged Petrel: 50 (30), (45 gouldi, 5 nominate race); all beyond the shelf.

WHITE-HEADED PETREL: 8 (2), 3 offshore.

Fairy Prion: 2 (1).

WHITE-CHINNED PETREL: 1.

Flesh-footed Shearwater: 6 (2), 1 offshore & 1 inshore.

Short-tailed Shearwater: 30 (6); all areas but most inshore.

Fluttering Shearwater: 6 inshore.

Wandering Albatross: 2 stage 3 exulans together.

Black-browed Albatross: 1 ONLY, a juv melanophris near shelf-break.

Shy Albatross: cauta 40 (20), (3 inshore, 12 offshore). One dark-headed juv.

Yellow-nosed Albatross: 4 (2), (2 offshore).

LIGHT-MANTLED SOOTY ALBATROSS: 1 juv. offshore.

Wilson’s Storm-Petrel: 30 (14), 2 offshore.

GREY-BACKED STORM-PETREL: 1.

White-faced Storm-Petrel: 6 (2).

Australasian Gannet: c. 70, (26 inshore, 40 offshore & 4 pelagic).

Black-faced Cormorant: 2 on LJPI.

Great Cormorant: 1 off PF.

ARCTIC JAEGER: 2; 1 juv. & 1 dark-phase ad. retaining tail-streamers.

Kelp Gull: 6 ads. on LJPI.

Silver Gull: 25 on LJPI.

Crested Tern: 8, (1 inshore, 1 offshore & 6 pelagic or adjacent).

ARCTIC TERN: 2.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930