birding-aus

The Big Twitch on Lord Howe (Part One)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: The Big Twitch on Lord Howe (Part One)
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:40:31 +0800
Lord Howe Island has always held a certain allure for me, despite its rather prosaic name- "Lord Howe" hardly conveys much of a sense of grandeur. Two early memories of the island were of: a comedy routine on "The Big Gig" where Jonathon Biggins (I think) impersonated a Lord Howe Island stand up comic; and of a group of twitchers going over  in the early Eighties, just after the island had been declared a World Heritage Area, and having to dash back early to try and twitch the White Wagtail that had turned up at Lakes Entrance in Victoria. From memory I don't think they were successful.

I had planned to go to Lord Howe around Easter, to coincide with both the Summer and Winter breeders being there, but was diverted by the Laughing Gull in Brisbane and so had to wait until the Spring for that happy coincidence of most of the breeding seabirds being present.

I had a day to kill after the Newcastle Pelagic before I flew out, so naturally I set about picking up some of those pesky stop-outs of species that had eluded me thus far. Richard Baxter gave me directions to a hillside where they had seen Spotted Quail-thrush very easily only days before. Typically, I couldn't get onto it. I did see, however, some pretty tricky birds to get onto such as Rock Warbler and Chestnut-rumped Heathwren. But no Quail-thrush. This site was just out of Cessnock so has most probably gone up in flames since then. It is going to be an ugly, ugly Summer.

The other bird I was after was, believe it or not, Common Koel. Although hearing it several times last Summer all along the East Coast, an actual sighting had proved unforthcoming. Phil Hansbro gave me directions to an orchard where he had seen four the previous week, but this time I had even less luck as I couldn't even find the orchard let alone the birds.

The last time I had been on the Central Coast had been for my Grandmother's funeral. I made a detour to visit her and my Grandfather's grave. Before you get too impressed by my familial piety, I hasten to add the main motivation for my pilgrimage was far more base. I remembered that at the funeral there seemed to be masses of Koels calling all about the place, and perhaps, I mused, they might be there again.

No such luck. I reckon if you ever wanted proof that there is no afterlife, this is it. Because if there had been, surely the spirits of my grandparents would have had a word in God's ear to send just one Koel along. But nope, there none. Although that could be proof that there is eternal life as my Grandparents could just have easily arranged for none to show up, just to get me back for not visiting sooner.

And so with the list still stuck on 614 I headed out to Lord Howe Island. I've looked at the pictures thousands of times before, but to actually see those imposing twin peaks of Mounts Lidgbird and Gower towering above the brilliant aquamarine marine waters of the lagoon was still a breathtaking joy.

Lord Howe truly is a magnificent place. It is beautiful, peaceful and superb for wildlife. But the tragedy is, so recently it was even better. By the end of the Nineteenth Century, hunting pressures from visiting whalers and the first settlers had seen birds such as the Lord Howe White Gallinule, Parakeet and Pigeon go from the forest to the pot to extinction. But the forests were still alive with smaller birds. Then in 1918 rats from a ship that ran aground came ashore and within five years a further six unique forms of birdlife were gone forever. The rats remain to this day, and though there is extensive baiting, they still take a toll on remaining seabird eggs and chicks.

There's still heaps to see, however. The whole place is full of the local Silvereye which does seem somewhat different from the mainland birds- longer bill, more yellow on the throat and undertail (rather like the West Australian or Barrier Reef races I thought) and may turn out to be another species, not merely a race.

The local Golden Whistlers are everywhere, with the Emerald Dove and Pied Currawong not as ubiquitous but still common, though all are outnumbered by the Blackbirds which are said to be self-introduced from New Zealand, though there is a rumour that crate loads of this species and Song Thrush were brought onto the island from NZ during the war. I'm not sure of the object of the exercise- were they front line defence against palm weevils or the Japanese Imperial Army? To be honest I didn't mind so much these two interlopers being on the island, as with he native Blackbird being wiped out by the rats two decades before, perhaps they are filling a vacated niche in the island's ecology.

Still I would have preferred the natives. There is a wonderfully poignant line quoted in Ian Hutton's book on Lord Howe, written by a local naturalist only two years after the rat's escape- "... the quiet of death reigns where all was melody".

That phrase haunted me everytime I stepped into the forest.

To be continued...