birding-aus

Rosella hybridisation

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Rosella hybridisation
From: "Bob Green" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:27:00 +1030
Can anyone answer a question on rosella hybrids.
Near Mt Gambier SA we have a bird which resembles an Eastern Rosella but has a lot more red around the head and chest area, I am familiar with the "Fiery Parakeet" and this is not it. The bird is a male, the red on the breast comes right to perch level and it has red flanks, the odd thing is that it has purplish-blue cheek patches.
Would this as I believe signify a hybrid as opposed to a colour mutation.
Also does anyone know of any papers or reports etc that deal with rosella hybrids where I can find some more info.

Bob Green